Shrimp and Sweet Corn Fritters
Chef John Shields, PBS personality and author of Coastal Cooking with John Shields, captures the essence of seaboard delicacies with this spicy seafood fritter. It is the kind of indulgently delicious treat you would expect at a beachside bed & breakfast.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons OLD BAY Seasoning
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons green onion or chives, finely chopped
- 1 cup shrimp, cooked and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, cooked
- vegetable oil for frying
- confectioners’ sugar
- Optional Fruit Chutney Sauce:
- 1/4 cup fruit chutney
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and OLD BAY. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, milk and green onion. Combine mixtures, blending until moistened. Fold in cooked shrimp and corn.
- Pour oil into heavy skillet to a depth of 1 inch. Heat to 375°F on medium heat. Drop batter by the tablespoonful a few at a time into hot oil. Fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain fritters on paper towels. Just before serving, dust fritters with confectioners’ sugar.
- Fruit Chutney Sauce is a natural companion to these fritters. To prepare, mix fruit chutney, mayonnaise and sour cream in a small bowl. Spoon over fritters.